2023 GOVERNORSHIP AND
STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY ELECTIONS
Court to hear Diezani’s suit against EFCC challenging final forfeiture order of seized assets
The Federal High Court, Abuja, has fixed 23 October for hearing a suit filed by former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Diezani Alison-Madueke, challenging the order obtained by the EFCC for final forfeiture of her seized assets.
The judge, Inyang Ekwo, fixed the date on Wednesday after Mrs Alison-Madueke’s lawyer, Benson Igbanoi, and EFCC’s counsel, M.D. Baraya, regularised their processes in the suit.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the anti-corruption agency had planned to conduct a public sale of all the assets seized for being proceeds of crime as ordered by courts to be permanently forfeited to the federal government.
The auctioning exercise, conducted on the seized assets believed to include Diezani’s property, started on 9 January.
The suspended chairman of EFCC, Abdulrasheed Bawa, recently revealed that $153 million and over 80 properties had been recovered from Mrs Alison-Madueke.
She was alleged to have escaped to the United Kingdom and remained there after her exit from public office as the petroleum minister, an office she held between 2010 and 2015 under the administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan.
The suit is different from the one she also filed to seek N100 billion as compensation for a series of EFCC’s alleged libellous publications against her.
The former minister, who has corruption charges pending against her in a Nigerian court, said in her libel suit that she had been living in the United Kingdom after she was rushed there for medical treatment days to completing her term in office as minister in May 2015.
But the ex-minister, in her assets-related suit, sought an order extending the time to seek leave to apply to the court for an order to set aside the EFCC’s public notice issued to conduct a public sale on her property.
In the motion marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/21/2023, dated and filed on 6 January by her lawyer, Mr Ozekhome, the former minister sought five orders from the court.
Mrs Alison-Madueke sued the EFCC as the sole respondent in the suit.
The former minister, who argued that the various orders were made without jurisdiction, said these “ought to be set aside ex debito justitiae.”
She said she was not given a fair hearing in all the proceedings leading to the orders.
“The various court orders issued in favour of the respondent and upon which the respondent issued the public notice were issued in breach of the applicant’s right to fair hearing as guaranteed by Section 36 (1) of the 1999 Constitution, as altered, and other similar constitutional provisions,” she said.
She argued that she was neither served with the charge sheet and proof of evidence in any of the charges nor any other summons regarding the criminal charges pending against her before the court.
She further argued that the courts were misled into making several final forfeiture orders against her assets through suppression or non-disclosure of material facts.
“The several applications upon which the courts made the final order of forfeiture against the applicant were obtained upon gross misstatements, misrepresentations, non-disclosure, concealment and suppression of material facts, and this honourable court has the power to set aside same ex debito justitiae, as a void order is as good as if it was never made at all.
“The orders were made without recourse to the constitutional right to fair hearing and right to property accorded the applicant by the constitution.
“The applicant was never served with the processes of court in all the proceedings that led to the order of final forfeiture,” she said, among other grounds given.
But the EFCC, in a counter-affidavit deposed to by Rufai Zaki, a detective with the commission, urged the court to dismiss her application.
Mr Zaki, a member of the team that investigated a case of criminal conspiracy, official corruption and money laundering against the ex-minister and some other persons involved in the case, said the investigation had clearly shown that she was involved in some acts of criminality.
He said Mrs Alison-Madueke was therefore charged before the court in charge no: FHC/ABJ/CR/208/2018.
“We hereby rely on the charge FHC/ABJ/CR/208/2018 dated 14 November 2018 filed before this honourable court and also attached as Exhibit C in the applicant’s affidavit,” he said.
The EFCC operative said most of the depositions in Mrs Alison-Madueke’s suit were untrue.
He said contrary to her deposition in the affidavit filed in support of the suit, most of the cases which led to the final forfeiture of the contested property “were action in rem, same was heard at various times and determined by this honourable court.”
He said the courts ordered the commission to do a newspaper publication inviting parties to show cause why the said property should not be forfeited to the federal government before final orders were made.
Mr Zaki argued that one Nnamdi Awa Kalu represented the ex-minister in reaction to one of the forfeiture applications.
“We humbly rely on the judgment of Hon. Justice I.LN. Oweibo dated 10th September, 2019 shown in Exhibit C of the applicant’s affidavit,” he said.
The officer said contrary to her, the final forfeiture of the assets, which were subject to the present application, was ordered by the court in 2017 and that this was not set aside or upturned on appeal.
According to him, the properties have been disposed of through due process of law.
Contents provided and/or opinions expressed here do not reflect the opinions of The Pacesetter Frontier Magazine or any employee thereof.
Support The Pacesetter Frontier Magazine
It takes a lot to get credible, true and reliable stories.
As a privately owned media outfit, we believe in setting the pace and leaving strides in time.
If you like what we do, you can donate a token to us here. Your support will ensure that the right news is put out there at all times, reaching an unlimited number of persons at no cost to them.
LP Chieftain Obaze Accuses President Tinubu Of Copying Peter Obi’s Manifesto on Oronsaye Report
Advertisement Oseloka Henry Obaze, a Labour Party chieftain has accused the Tinubu-led administration of copying Peter Obi’s manifesto in the…
Tinubu okays full implementation of the Orosanye Report
Advertisement The Federal Executive Council (FEC), on Monday, approved the adoption of the Orosanye Report, aimed at the reduction of…