2023 GOVERNORSHIP AND
STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY ELECTIONS
Enugu Police Operatives Arrest Male Suspect For Faking, Using Popular Philanthropist’s Facebook Name To Defraud
… as CP Kanayo orders meticulous investigation and timely prosecution of the suspect, enjoining citizens to be wary of fraudulent social media impostors
Police Operatives of the Enugu State Command, serving in New Haven Police Division, on December 3, 2023, at about 12.30 p.m., acted on credible information and arrested one Somtochukwu Franklin (male), aged 26, for allegedly faking and using the Facebook account name and details of Emmanuel Okoh (male), popularly known as “Okwuluora,” to defraud unsuspecting members of the public.
2. A preliminary investigation has revealed that the suspect confessed to the act of crime, stating that he created the fake “Okwuluora” Facebook account in January 2023 and has since been using it to solicit funds from his over thirty-three thousand followers.
3. The suspect further stated that he usually waits for the actual “Okwuluora” to make a post, soliciting support for persons in situations requiring financial assistance. Upon sighting such posts, he immediately copies and posts them on the fake Facebook account and changes the beneficiary’s account details to his, thereby fraudulently obtaining funds from unsuspecting donors.
4. He added that he has, by so doing, received funds running into tens of thousands of Naira from donors.
5. Meanwhile, the Commissioner of Police, CP Kanayo Uzuegbu, psc (+), has ordered the State Criminal Intelligence and Investigation Department (State CID for short) to conduct a further thorough investigation and timely prosecution of the suspect.
6. The CP, therefore, enjoins victims of the fraudulent act to report to the State CID and volunteer their statements, while also calling on the citizenry to be wary of social media impostors and their fraudulent activities, especially this yuletide.
DSP DANIEL NDUKWE, anipr
Police Public Relations Officer,
Enugu State Command,
Contents provided and/or opinions expressed here do not reflect the opinions of The Pacesetter Frontier Magazine or any employee thereof.
Support The Pacesetter Frontier Magazine
It takes a lot to get credible, true and reliable stories.
As a privately owned media outfit, we believe in setting the pace and leaving strides in time.
If you like what we do, you can donate a token to us here. Your support will ensure that the right news is put out there at all times, reaching an unlimited number of persons at no cost to them.
LP Chieftain Obaze Accuses President Tinubu Of Copying Peter Obi’s Manifesto on Oronsaye Report
Advertisement Oseloka Henry Obaze, a Labour Party chieftain has accused the Tinubu-led administration of copying Peter Obi’s manifesto in the…
Tinubu okays full implementation of the Orosanye Report
Advertisement The Federal Executive Council (FEC), on Monday, approved the adoption of the Orosanye Report, aimed at the reduction of…