2023 GOVERNORSHIP AND
STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY ELECTIONS
Enugu Police Command Reacts to Report of Activities of Gunmen in Media, Says It’s ‘Inaccurate, Reckless, Sensational’
ENUGU STATE POLICE COMMAND PRESS RELEASE OF TUESDAY, JANUARY 16, 2024
REPORT OF “GUNMEN RUNNING RIOT IN ENUGU LG” INACCURATE, RECKLESS, AND SENSATIONAL
…as CP Kanayo expresses dismay over publication, cautions against unverified and sensational reportage
The Enugu State Police Command is aware of a publication in the Vanguard Newspaper of today, January 16, 2024, alleging that gunmen ran riot in the Uzo-Uwani Local Government Area of Enugu State, recently.
2. The Command, having gone through the content of the report and its available records, wishes to state categorically that the report is reckless, misleading, inaccurate, fictitious, and sensational. For instance, the report states that seven wedding guests were abducted in the the said local government, when there was no such abduction in the area.
3. It equally misleadingly claims that the gunmen engaged soldiers in a shout-out in the process, whereas there was no such incident whatsoever, let alone a shootout with soldiers. The publishers are, therefore, challenged to name the said wedding guests.
4. The report also highlights the case of the shooting and murder of the traditional ruler of Adani Autonomous community on the night of 22/12/2023, without double-checking and ensuring that they reported the true position of the case. They hurriedly went to press, failing to acknowledge the fact that the Command had immediately launched a manhunt and an investigation into the case, leading to the arrest, arraignment and remand of eight suspects.
5. They further hurriedly reported the case of the abduction of one Romanus Chikwelu (male) and three others, without cross-checking their facts to confirm and establish the fact that the victims had earlier been immediately rescued by joint security forces.
6. Consequently, the Commissioner of Police, *CP Kanayo Uzuegbu, psc (+)*, while expressing dismay over the publication, has cautioned media practitioners, both in the mainstream and the new media, against publishing unverified and sensational stories that are capable of creating fears and despair in the minds of unsuspecting citizens.
7. The Commissioner reiterates that the Police remain committed to continuously fight all forms of crime to a standstill and to maintain the improved general serene security atmosphere in Enugu State. He maintains that media practitioners, through their critical role of investigative journalism, remain very crucial partners in the actualisation of these goals.
8. Therefore, the CP charges media practitioners, particularly those in the State, to continue to work harmoniously with the Police and ensure the accurate reporting of security situations by verifying their information.
DSP DANIEL NDUKWE, anipr
Police Public Relations Officer,
Enugu State Command,
Contents provided and/or opinions expressed here do not reflect the opinions of The Pacesetter Frontier Magazine or any employee thereof.
Support The Pacesetter Frontier Magazine
It takes a lot to get credible, true and reliable stories.
As a privately owned media outfit, we believe in setting the pace and leaving strides in time.
If you like what we do, you can donate a token to us here. Your support will ensure that the right news is put out there at all times, reaching an unlimited number of persons at no cost to them.
LP Chieftain Obaze Accuses President Tinubu Of Copying Peter Obi’s Manifesto on Oronsaye Report
Advertisement Oseloka Henry Obaze, a Labour Party chieftain has accused the Tinubu-led administration of copying Peter Obi’s manifesto in the…
Tinubu okays full implementation of the Orosanye Report
Advertisement The Federal Executive Council (FEC), on Monday, approved the adoption of the Orosanye Report, aimed at the reduction of…